Getting error message: Cannot launcht the debuggerTab.

Getting error message: Cannot launcht the debuggerTab.

roger_alexander
Hi,

I just downloaded and installed ANTLRWorks version 1.4.3 with no problem.
I'm completly new to ANTLRWorks so I thought that I would start with the
expression evaluator tutorial [1]. So I downloaded the example grammar [2]
and opened it in AW (running on Ubuntu 10.10). I then proceeded to follow
the directions given in the tutorial; but when I tried to execute the
debugger, I received the following error message:

        Cannot launch the debuggerTab.
        Timeout waiting to connect to the remote parser.

I Google'd around look for others with similar problems and discovered a
few from 2009 and 2010. However, none of those had a resolution or work
around. I tried increasing the time out value as one of the posts
suggested, but that made no difference. I'm stumped at this point and have
no idea what to try next. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Roger Alexander.

[1] http://www.antlr.org/works/help/tutorial/calculator.html
[2] http://www.antlr.org/works/help/tutorial/content/Expr.g

Re: Getting error message: Cannot launcht the debuggerTab.

Daniela da Cruz
Hi

I usually have that problem in different circumstances (and in Windows):
1. When I launch the debug and for some reason didn't proceed the run until
the end. It seems that the process for the debugger keeps alive and in the
next run you get that error you mention. Solution: close antlrworks, make
sure that all java processes related with it are killed and reopen
antlrworks.

2. change the default port to a different one.

i hope that this help
daniela

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 22:23, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded and installed ANTLRWorks version 1.4.3 with no problem.
> I'm completly new to ANTLRWorks so I thought that I would start with the
> expression evaluator tutorial [1]. So I downloaded the example grammar [2]
> and opened it in AW (running on Ubuntu 10.10). I then proceeded to follow
> the directions given in the tutorial; but when I tried to execute the
> debugger, I received the following error message:
>
>        Cannot launch the debuggerTab.
>        Timeout waiting to connect to the remote parser.
>
> I Google'd around look for others with similar problems and discovered a
> few from 2009 and 2010. However, none of those had a resolution or work
> around. I tried increasing the time out value as one of the posts
> suggested, but that made no difference. I'm stumped at this point and have
> no idea what to try next. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Roger Alexander.
>
> [1] http://www.antlr.org/works/help/tutorial/calculator.html
> [2] http://www.antlr.org/works/help/tutorial/content/Expr.g

> Unsubscribe:

Re: Getting error message: Cannot launcht the debuggerTab.

roger_alexander
Hi Daniela.

Thanks for the response. I had tried what you suggested but no joy.
However, it occurred to me that the problem might be that I am running
Java 1.7. So changed AW's configuration to use Java 1.6, and it worked!

Again, thanks for your response.

Roger.

From:   Daniela da Cruz <[hidden email]>
To:     [hidden email]
Cc:     [hidden email]
Date:   03/15/2012 03:27 PM
Subject:        Re: [antlr-interest] Getting error message: Cannot launcht
the debuggerTab.

http://www.antlr.org/mailman/options/antlr-interest/your-email-address

Re: Getting error message: Cannot launcht the debuggerTab.

Daniela da Cruz
I had the same problem yesterday with some students. Antlrworks work with
java 1.7 but only when is the only version installed.

daniela

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 22:36, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Daniela.
>
> Thanks for the response. I had tried what you suggested but no joy.
> However, it occurred to me that the problem might be that I am running Java
> 1.7. So changed AW's configuration to use Java 1.6, and it worked!
>
> Again, thanks for your response.
>
> Roger.
>

> From:        Daniela da Cruz <[hidden email]>
> To:        [hidden email]
> Cc:        [hidden email]
> Date:        03/15/2012 03:27 PM
> Subject:        Re: [antlr-interest] Getting error message: Cannot
> launcht the debuggerTab.
> ------------------------------
>

> Hi
>
> I usually have that problem in different circumstances (and in Windows):
> 1. When I launch the debug and for some reason didn't proceed the run
> until the end. It seems that the process for the debugger keeps alive and
> in the next run you get that error you mention. Solution: close antlrworks,
> make sure that all java processes related with it are killed and reopen
> antlrworks.
>
> 2. change the default port to a different one.
>
> i hope that this help
> daniela
>
> On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 22:23, <*[hidden email]*<[hidden email]>>
> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just downloaded and installed ANTLRWorks version 1.4.3 with no problem.
> I'm completly new to ANTLRWorks so I thought that I would start with the
> expression evaluator tutorial [1]. So I downloaded the example grammar [2]
> and opened it in AW (running on Ubuntu 10.10). I then proceeded to follow
> the directions given in the tutorial; but when I tried to execute the
> debugger, I received the following error message:
>
>        Cannot launch the debuggerTab.
>        Timeout waiting to connect to the remote parser.
>
> I Google'd around look for others with similar problems and discovered a
> few from 2009 and 2010. However, none of those had a resolution or work
> around. I tried increasing the time out value as one of the posts
> suggested, but that made no difference. I'm stumped at this point and have
> no idea what to try next. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Roger Alexander.
>
> [1] *http://www.antlr.org/works/help/tutorial/calculator.html*<http://www.antlr.org/works/help/tutorial/calculator.html>
> [2] *http://www.antlr.org/works/help/tutorial/content/Expr.g*<http://www.antlr.org/works/help/tutorial/content/Expr.g>

> Unsubscribe: *
> http://www.antlr.org/mailman/options/antlr-interest/your-email-address*<http://www.antlr.org/mailman/options/antlr-interest/your-email-address>

Re: Getting error message: Cannot launcht the debuggerTab.

Michael Roberts
I see exactly the same issue running antlrworks on jdk 1.6.30 (32bit) on
windows 7 64 bit.  My solution was the same as Daniela's before.  Looks
like it's eating ports in the event that something fails.

MR